PEDNEYRA - PGCE Early Years (3 - 7) (Train to Teach North London)
|Highest award||Postgraduate Certificate in Education||Level||Masters|
|Possible interim awards||Professional Graduate Certificate in Education, Postgraduate Certificate in Education|
|Total credits for course||120|
|Awarding institution||London Metropolitan University|
|Teaching institutions||London Metropolitan University|
|School||School of Social Professions|
Professional Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) accreditations & exemptions
This PGCE course is accredited by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
You will be required to have:
- UK degree grade 2.2 or equivalent
- a pass in professional skills tests for literacy and numeracy
- a valid Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate and Confirmation of Fitness to Teach (eg a London Metropolitan University Health Check) - you will be advised to apply for these after an offer is made
- GCSE English, Mathematics and Science grade C (grade 4 from 2017) or above (or equivalent, see Equivalency Testing or A Star Teachers)
Applicants with third class degrees can apply on the condition that this qualification is supported by a completed Master's degree and relevant work experience.
We do make conditional offers (with strict deadlines) so it is important that you include all pending qualifications in your UCAS application.
If you feel your qualifications are outside of the requirements you should contact the Admissions Office for further advice before applying.
The University will assess any overseas qualifications for equivalence using a number of resources including our own internal guidelines, the UK National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) and the Bursary Tables publicly available from the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
All applicants must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. Applicants who require a Tier 4 student visa may need to provide a Secure English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS. For more information about English qualifications please see our English language requirements.
Before you can be permitted to enrol on this course:
- you must take and pass the Professional skills tests as required by the NCTL - if you have not already passed these tests this will be made a condition of your offer with a strict deadline for completion (in practice London Met would prefer these results are confirmed before offering an interview)
- you must not already hold QTS or be qualified to teach in another EU/EEA country
Prior to the interview for this course, London Met recommends you:
- have a minimum of 10 working days recent experience (within the past year) in a school
- prepare for your understanding of current teaching practice and issues in schools to be assessed
- should have an awareness of multiculturalism and other contexts unique to urban schools
- You're aware you may be invited to interview based on information given in your application
Some offers may recommend further school experience if required.
Due to statutory requirements, we are not able to offer sponsorship under the Tier 4 visa route for this course. We will be happy to consider those falling into this category for an alternative suitable course on request. Overseas nationals who already hold an alternative visa in a suitable category or have been granted permission to remain in the UK indefinitely, and EU nationals may be considered for admission but please note that an additional international enhanced police check will be required.
Official use and codes
|Approved to run from||2017/18||Specification version||1||Specification status||Validated|
|Original validation date||01 Jan 2017||Last validation date||01 Jan 2017|
|Sources of funding||NCTL|
|JACS codes||100510 (early years teaching): 100%|