ED7125 - Specialist Study Module (2017/18)
|Module specification||Module approved to run in 2017/18|
|Module title||Specialist Study Module|
|Module level||Masters (07)|
|Credit rating for module||20|
|School||School of Social Professions|
|Total study hours||200|
|Running in 2017/18||
This module allows students to identify and pursue detailed documentary study in an area agreed with their supervisor at M-level. This can be the pursuit of an education-focused topic not offered as part of the scheduled MA Education curriculum or afford an opportunity for school-based subject specialists to extend their knowledge and understanding in their specialist area.
Prior learning requirements
The module aims:
• to offer an expanded range of possible topics for study;
• to support early-career teachers desiring to expand and develop their knowledge base in a particular area.
Content will be decided by negotiation between student and supervisor. Students are entitled to 4 hours of supervision over the course of the semester in which they take the module.
Learning and teaching
Individual tutorials in negotiated combination with self-directed study.
At the end of the module students will have:
• informed themselves about a specific area of professional or academic interest relating to the study of Education;
• developed, clarified and informed their own research interests;
• exercised academic search and communication skills, including the setting of specific goals for their study;
• extended her/his confidence in discovering and selecting material, and relating it to a particular task within a particular theoretical perspective.
Completion of 5,000 word extended essay.
Bibliography is contingent on topic.