module specification

LL6006 - Company Law (2017/18)

Module specification Module approved to run in 2017/18
Module title Company Law
Module level Honours (06)
Credit rating for module 30
School Guildhall School of Business and Law
Total study hours 300
 
219 hours Guided independent study
81 hours Scheduled learning & teaching activities
Assessment components
Type Weighting Qualifying mark Description
Coursework 30%   Coursework
Unseen Examination 70%   Unseen Examination
Running in 2017/18
Period Campus Day Time Module Leader
Year City Thursday Morning

Module summary

This module introduces students to Company law and will include the formation, constitution and management of companies together with share issue, share capital, loan capital and selected aspects of insolvency law.

Prior learning requirements

Law of Contract

Module aims

1. to provide an understanding of the fundamental concepts of company law;
2. to enable students to evaluate critically the general principles of company law;
3. to develop a students awareness of the place and function of company law.

 

Syllabus

Company Law: incorporation, the corporate constitution, directors’ duties, protection for minority shareholders, share issue, share capital, capital maintenance, loan capital, securing loans on corporate assets, corporate failure, priority of creditors, transaction avoidance provisions and disqualification of directors. 

Learning and teaching

The module is taught by lectures and seminars with students required to read from specified case law and legal journals.  There is a logical progression through a detailed syllabus involving a review of the various stages in the life of registered company.  Students are given the opportunity to discuss theoretical issues as well as practical problem solving.  Students are supported in undertaking on-line research using electronic law databases and encouraged to use Westlaw on a weekly basis. There is a virtual learning environment (VLE) containing handbooks, lecture notes, weblinks, discussion groups, past assessments, study skills materials and assessment criteria.  Blended learning pervades the delivery of the module and is actively encouraged as students engage with digital materials, use on-line discussion groups and achieve a competent standard of digital literacy during their studies.
 
Two formative assessments are set and marked promptly with opportunities for feedback both in class and individually.

Knowledge of the topics covered will enhance students’ employability within the legal profession and also may feed in to a range of roles including company secretarial work, accountancy and management.

Students’ study responsibilities are to attend all classes, research and prepare for seminar discussion and academic debate, engage in interactive IT related activities and to undertake all formative and final assessments.
 

Learning outcomes

On successful completion of this module students will:
1. be able to understand key legal principles governing registered companies:
2. be able to apply their knowledge of company law to particular situations;
3. be able to identify legal issues arising out of hypothetical problem questions and to recognise and formulate the arguments that may  be made by the parties concerned;
4. have acquired the techniques of critical analysis to understand past and possible future developments in the law regulating registered companies.
 

Assessment strategy

A piece of coursework counting for 30% of the module mark and an unseen examination making up the other 70%.

 

Bibliography

Dignam A and Lowry, Core Text: Company Law, Oxford
Hannigan B, Company Law, Oxford
Mayson, French and Ryan, Company Law, Oxford
Sealy and Worthington, Cases and Materials on Company Law, Oxford