ST7053 - Sports Therapy Treatment (2023/24)
|Module approved to run in 2023/24
|Sports Therapy Treatment
|Credit rating for module
|School of Human Sciences
|Total study hours
|Running in 2023/24(Please note that module timeslots are subject to change)
This module is intended to develop the practical skills and theoretical knowledge to support the practice of therapy treatment modalities such as electrotherapy and soft tissue therapy.
This module aims to provide the student with advanced theoretical knowledge and practical expertise to apply soft tissue therapy and electrotherapy safely and effectively.
• Principles of soft tissue therapy, ethical considerations, hygiene, indications and contraindications. (LO1, LO3)
• Soft tissue therapy practical development of skills and technique. (LO1)
• Advanced physiological theory underpinning the use of soft tissue therapy, with a focus on criticality. (LO1, LO3)
• Consideration of the healing stages (LO1, LO2, LO3)
• Physical principles, dangers, effects and safety aspects of, but not restricted to, electrotherapy. (LO2)
• Ethical matters regarding the use of, but not restricted to electrotherapy. (LO2, LO3)
• Clinical and practical applications of electrotherapy. (LO2)
Balance of independent study and scheduled teaching activity
Students will be provided with the opportunity to acquire knowledge of the subject material through teacher-led activities in the form of lectures and tutorials and practical’s. Students' ability to seek, handle and interpret information will be encouraged through directed reading with some specific distance learning developments, access to the websites of professional bodies, and other learning resources. Students will work in groups on aspects of practical application and as individuals on the review. Students’ study responsibilities are articulated in the Student Charter, which is available via the University web site.
1. Demonstrate and critically appraise soft tissue therapy in the treatment of sports injuries.
2. Demonstrate and critically appraise the use of electrotherapy in the treatment of sports injuries.
3. Critically analyse the use of sports therapy treatments in relation to contemporary research in the field of Sports Therapy.
Students will need to demonstrate their practical skills and theoretical knowledge that underpins the practical skills via the two practical with VIVA assessments. The first 15 minute practical with VIVA assessment will assess the students’ practical soft tissue therapy skills and the theory underpinning the safe and effective application of the techniques (50%, LO1, LO3). The second practical with VIVA assessment is 25 minutes and will assess the practical skills and theoretical knowledge of safe and effective application of safe electrotherapy (50%, LO2, LO3). Students are required to critically appraise the treatment modalities. When required, reading time outside of the assessment time will be given to the students.
Students are required to attend a minimum of 80% of the practical sessions in this module in order to successfully complete the module
This module is pass all components due to the clinical and theoretical competencies outlined by The Society of Sports Therapists to enable application for licence to practice.